Search This Blog

Monday, March 25, 2013

Guacamole Night

I love avocados!  Full of healthy fats (yes, such a thing exists), tasty and quite filling, they have become a regular part of my food repertoire.   Usually I'm slicing them up and adding them to a salad, but every now and then I like to splurge and have an entire meal fashioned with them.

Avocados are a good source of Vitamin E, C and several B vitamins and provide your body with necessary fats without the bad effects of saturated fats.  They also help your body absorb the fat soluble nutrients in the foods that you eat with them, so make sure you load up your guacamole with tomatoes to get an extra boost of lycopene, an antioxidant that helps to reduce your cancer risk.

Now I will admit to the guilty pleasure of eating my guacamole with chips.  I chose multigrain chips to try to help lessen the crappy food factor, but let's face it, a chip is a chip.  I use the "Scoops" variety, so I can increase my guac to chip ratio and consume a little less chip with each bite.

What makes this the World's Best Guacamole?  The freshness.  There's nothing better than mixing up your own concoction and eating it right out of the bowl you made it in.

The WORLD'S BEST Guacamole

2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup diced onion
3/4 cup diced tomato
1 tbsp lemon juice or the juice of one lemon
1 tsp minced garlic
jalapeƱo pepper to taste
a couple of shakes of salt, to taste


Mash the avocado with a fork then combine with the other ingredients.  

Nutritional information per 1/2 cup serving:
140 calories
9 total grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat
87 calories from fat
14 grams carbs
2.5 grams protein
0 mg cholesterol

No comments:

Post a Comment