Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Chicken Cacciatore with Cheesy Polenta

This recipe defines the word "savory."   I always make a big batch, regardless of whether I'm feeding two or six, and put the rest in the fridge or freezer to take with me for meals at the hospital.  In fact, I very rarely eat a meal at work that I didn't bring from home.  It allows me much better control over not only what I eat, but when I eat it.  The last thing you want to see is a full moon transformation because I can't break away to get to the cafeteria for food.  Things get ugly when I'm hungry.
Chicken Cacciatore (Catch-A-Tory) with Cheesy Polenta

2 boneless breasts of chicken
Thanks to the Florida sunshine,
I can have fresh herbs all year long.
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
6 cups chopped fresh tomato or 2 can of diced tomatoes
3/4 cup dry white wine*
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 cups fresh baby portabella mushrooms, sliced or whole
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried or 3 tsp fresh rosemary
1 tsp dried or 3 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp dried or 3 tsp fresh oregano

*Use a decent wine, not cooking wine.  Pour yourself a glass, too.


1.  Cube chicken, cook in olive oil in large skillet.
Those are some good looking
 fresh veggies!
2.  Combine all of the other ingredients in a large bowl, then add to skillet with chicken.
3.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are cooked through, about 20 minutes.
4.  Serve over cheesy polenta (recipe below)







Cheesy Polenta
 2 1/2 cups skim milk
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 stick I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup corn meal
1/2 cup shredded 2% cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Bring milk, water, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to a boil in medium saucepan.  

Add corn meal, whisking constantly, until well blended.  Reduce heat to low and cook 8 to 10 minutes, whisking often, until thickened.  

Remove from heat then stir in cheeses, mixing well.  Spoon into bottom of bowl, then top with Chicken Cacciatore.

Cheesy Polenta Nutritional Info:
170 calories
42 calories from fat
2 grams saturated fat
11 mg cholesterol
1 gm fiber
10 gm protein
21 gm carbs
5 gm sugars

Chicken Cacciatore Nutritional Info:
160 calories
29 calories from fat 
0 saturated fat
11 mg of cholesterol
4 grams fiber
9 grams protein
16 grams carbs
9 grams sugar



No comments:

Post a Comment