Ingredients:
A nice pile of microgreen basil, typically the product of a full tray.
2 cloves of garlic
one small handful of raw pine nuts
about 1/2 cup Parmesan, loosely packed and freshly grated
1-2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
Transfer the cake to a small bowl, then drizzle with the olive oil. You can set this aside in the refrigerator or use right away. Give it a quick stir just before serving to incorporate the oil into the basil mixture.
As a side note, and I'm sure this would be a blasphemous comment to any Italian grandmother, but I ran out of pine nuts once and substituted slivered almonds. You know what? It was great. The almonds gave it the same nutty texture, and frankly, they're a lot cheaper.
You can, of course, use this recipe with regular basil as well, it just takes a little more chopping.
I like to eat this with a caprese salad - tomatoes, fresh mozzarella (which is actually pretty fun to make at home, too, but we'll save that for another post), and a good balsamic. Top it with a little extra basil or salad microgreens and it makes an attractive and satisfying appetizer or even a full meal (Rick and I shared this plate for dinner). Pair it with a nice bottle of red and you've got the makings of a great Italian restaurant right in your own home.
No comments:
Post a Comment